Creating Opportunities Today; Maximizing Independence Tomorrow

OCTC Services to Child Care/Preschool

The decision to enroll your child in any child care environment is completely up to you. In the event that you decide that you would like your child to attend a child care environment, there are many options available to you and your child from full time child care to part time nursery school.

Questions and answers regarding child care/preschool

What are definitions for child care and preschool?

Who can assist me with child care/preschool options?

OCTC Social Work Services and/or community case manager can provide you with information and assist you with getting the process started.

What child care/preschool options exist?

There are a variety of licensed and unlicensed programs in SD&G. Information about the types of programs and services provided are available through the City of Cornwall Child Care Services; you may visit their website This document provides information on what program will suit your child based on age, length of program, etc.

What are the benefits of licensed and unlicensed child care or home child care programs?

Child Care Information lists possible advantages and disadvantages of licensed programs and unlicensed programs.

When should I start thinking about child care/preschool?

For all child care/preschool options, it is advised that you start planning at least 6 to 12 months before you want your child to start. Occasionally, spaces will be available within a shorter period of time.

How and where do I apply for licensed child care/preschool programs?

For child care/preschool programs, parents need to contact the programs of their choice directly, to place their child’s name on the wait list for each program. You may want to plan a visit with your child to your top choice. A list of preschool programs is available through City of Cornwall Child Care Service: or you can contact OCTC Social Work Services to help you find the information. It is advised that you apply to many programs in order to secure an appropriate spot.

How and where do I apply for a subsidized licensed child care placement?

City of Cornwall Child Care Services manages the eligibility and application for all subsidized daycare programs in SD&G region. You can contact the City of Cornwall Child Care Services manager at 613-933-6282.

What are the questions I should ask a child care provider when I plan my visit?

Who should I contact if my child requires additional support in a child care/preschool setting?

The Early Childhood Integration through Community Living Stormont County for Children with Special Needs provides support for children who have a developmental disability. A referral to the agency needs to be submitted to receive this service. For more information you may contact Early Childhood Integration: 613-938-9550 Ext. 223:

Who should I notify if my child starts a child care/preschool program?

It is very important to inform your child’s current therapy team. They may provide support and consultative services to the childcare/preschool program.

What respite options are available in SD&G?

OCTC does not run respite programs in SD&G. For further information on respite options in your area, please contact the following

How can I obtain an application for an Accessible Parking Permit?

For further information and to apply, please visit the following website: Accessible parking permit

You can also pick up an application at any Driver and Vehicle Licence Issuing Office or request an application by mail from:

Service Ontario
License Renewals Unit
P.O. Box 9800
Kingston, ON
K7L 5N8

Transition from Child Care/Preschool to School

In preparation for the next transition, you can get ready by looking ahead. Here are some examples of areas you may want to research, learn about for support and information.

  • Understanding your child’s learning abilities and needs:
  • School Placement Needs, Registration for School
  • Individual Education Plans (IEP), Identification, Placement and Review Committee (IPRC)
  • Transportation
  • Investigate respite options for you and your family
  • Seek assistance to promote disability awareness in various environments (making friends, being different)
  • Camps
  • Sibling needs
  • Supports for my child in a school setting
  • Van and home modifications